Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Does painting relate to life?

Life is continually evolving but a painting stays the same. It is the person viewing the painting that changes. Years ago i saw Van Goghs Sunflowers in Paris. I liked looking at art at that time but had no real knowledge about it. When looking at the painting i was surprised how small it was and found the colours drab and the sunflowers ugly. My friends who were not particularly interested in art were saying similar things. I do remember thinking that i liked the texture of the paint. Now i wonder if i would think the same if i were to see it now with a little more knowledge. The painting will not have changed but i have.

I have noticed that i am recognising versions of paintings on adverts and credits on TV programmes.I think Monet has inspired the new M&S advert with his red poppy fields. The beginning of Desperate Housewives has used The Wedding Portrait by Jan van Eyck and a Lichtenstein style picture to portray the changing role of women in society.
My job as a designer was something i did even when i wasn't at work i would be continually thinking up new ideas. So it was more than just a job it was an obsession.I would get annoyed with myself and deliberately try to think of something else. Now i am learning more about painting i feel i am continually thinking about it and i know it will be my new obsession. This is what attracts me to painting the fact that i have always used a paintbrush to work with and i feel it is a natural progression to want to carry on but learn to paint for my own satisfaction.

No comments: