Sunday, April 29, 2007

Howard Hodgkins Prints at Abbot Hall Kendal.

Went to see this exhibition over the weekend. His work is very colourful and i found myself wanting to look at certain areas of his work but was a bit frustrated with the reflection off the glass that was covering the prints. I suppose it is to stop the public from touching but it did spoil the viewing of the prints if you were stood in the wrong place. I was intrigued to work out the layers of the prints and found myself counting the colours and tones. The textures and effects he had produced were amazing and looked very close to his paintings. He has hand coloured some of the prints so they seem to have the vividness of his paintings. I could have stayed longer looking at them but i went over the road to the Brewery Arts to see what was on there. What a load of rubbish! I cant remember the name of the artist but the paintings were on bits of card pinned to the wall. That might not have been too bad if the painting was good but they were all very similar about the heart and the painting technique was poor. I stayed 5mins, wish i had stayed at Abbot Hall!

No comments: