Thursday, March 29, 2007

Object painting

During the process of making this painting i learnt that it was very experimental because of the size,canvas surface,working on the floor,mixing oil paint and brush choice. Only after discovering what the surface would do to my choice of brush size and consistency of paint could i start to put down the marks i wanted and even then it was more of a compromise to work with the materials and mostly each stroke was not what i expected so it was a build up of marks rather than fluid ones which came later to sit on top. The size and working on the floor made the object change due to me moving around so i think i address this by perhaps painting areas that are there then make up areas to make the painting look right. I enjoyed doing the large size painting because it felt good to be free with the brush strokes. This is something i would like to work on so that my future paintings have more movement and freedom. I feel that working in the wallpaper industry where everything had to be precise has stayed with me in my style of painting and i would like to be more care free.This i think can be achieved by being relaxed with the materials and techniques being used and perhaps being past the experimental stage and finding a style that works for me.

No comments: